Skip to main content

Warnings - Toastmasters speech number 6

How many of you met with accident in life?

And how many of you broke your bones in it?

Good evening toast masters and evaluators, accidents are surprises in our life, the guests who comes without a warning.  But if you analyze them closely some of them came with your invitation. 

Truly we invite them to our life.

Accidents, every morning along with our bed coffee we are gifted with news of accidents, bike accidents, car accidents, bus accidents even flight accidents.  And we believe it won’t happen to us.

We don’t wear helmet when we ride bike, we don’t wear seat belts, because we believe we are intact.

I also use to believe that I am intact and no accident can hit me. 

It was September 15th 2006.  I was travelling from Eranakulam to Thalasserry to my home, my wife was pregnant and her parents were visiting my home next day to take her to their home for delivery.
I was travelling in train, it was very comfortable, and I was reading some book and enjoying it.  The train reached at Farok station, I peeked out through window, sky was very clear and I could see stars shinning on sky.  Suddenly someone inside me asked.

“Hey why don’t you get down at Calicut, take the bike from your brother and ride on it to thalasserry?”
And what I did?

I answered to that voice,

“Yes man let’s rock let’s do it”

I get down at Calicut, took bike from my brother, it was a brand new Honda Unicorn.  My brother warned me, “Hey bro be careful, it’s late”

Yes, it was late around 11 PM, but I ignored his comment.  Journey started and after 15 minutes, climate changed and heavy thunder and rain started.  That was the second warning, I could have stopped and turn back, around 70 Kilometers was in front of me.  But I didn’t, I didn’t stopped, all wet in rain I continued my journey

There was no helmet on my head and due to heavy rain I was not able to wear glass, the rain was heavily hitting on my face, the vision was blurred.  I can hardly see anything on road.  Suddenly something hit on my head, it was not so hard, like someone thrown something to my head, I could not found what it was, I didn’t stopped the bike.  Then again it happens, and then suddenly I realize that it was coming from a truck going in front of me.  It was carrying pots and it was breaking due to rain and bad road condition, the ones which fell out of it was hitting on me.  That was the third warning.

But I didn’t stopped, increased the speed of bike overtake the truck and moved forward.

When I reached koyilandi, the rain was over and atmosphere becomes clear.   Then I saw a series of trailers going in front of me.  There were 3 of them; it was very difficult to drive behind it.  So I increased the speed of bike and over take them.  But my calculation went wrong, like the calculations of Indian cricket team in finals.  I was able to overtake trailers, but I went to other side of divider, now I was riding on wrong side and no way could I go to other side because of divider.  Vehicles were coming in full speed to me.  That was the 4th warning.  Somehow I managed cross the divider and went to left side of road, and continued my journey. 
From that point on wards I become more conscious and decreased the speed, and I successfully reached at Mahe, it was around 1.30 am,  I passed mahe bridge and I become relaxed because there was hardly 8 km to my home I successfully completed 70 kilometers.

Suddenly something happened, I was bending bike on a curve and next thing I was on air I took 3 summer salt before hitting the ground, not only me my bike also made 3 to 4 summer salt. The bike ran over the divider on road bend.  I hit the road on my left shoulder and rolled for around 5 meters.  And become unconscious for few seconds, when I woke there was blood on my face, knees and legs.  I was bleeding from forehead shoulders and legs; every inch of my body was in deep pain.  I was not able to raise my left hand actually I was not able to feel my left hand.

There was no warning this time.

I don’t want to go into the details of injury; it’s something I want to forget.  In hospital I refuse to take bandage for my shoulder because I don’t want to show it to my wife and family when she was leaving for delivery, so I bear the pain for next 12 hours.  I reached home at 3 am in morning and I told them train was late and I met with a minor accident when coming in auto.  I was able to hide the injuries on my body with a full sleeve shirt and pants.  After my wife left to her house, I told everything to my parents and rushed to hospital.  Doctors put a band aid on my shoulders and kept my hand like this.
It was really difficult for next 2 months.

But god was graceful to me; he gave me my life back.  My personal advice to all, do not answer to all inner calls, take 5 seconds on analyzing it then make the decision, it may be a life saver.
 Over to you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

എന്നാലും എന്‍റെ കണാരേട്ടാ

വായനശാലയുടെ കോലായില്‍ ആകാശത്തോട്ടു നോക്കി തൂണും ചാരി കണാരേട്ടന്‍ ഇരിക്കുന്നത് കണ്ടപ്പോഴേ ഒരു പന്ധി  കേട് തോനിയതാ.  ഇന്ന് വല്ലതും നടക്കും.  ഏതാണ്ട് അമ്പതു വയസിനടുത്തു പ്രായം, ഡിഗ്രി വരെ പഠിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ട്, തലയുടെ ഒരു സ്ക്രൂ എവിടെയോ നഷടപെട്ടു അതിനു ശേഷം ജോലിക്കൊന്നും പോവാറില്ല, ആര്‍ക്കും വേറെ ഒരു ഉപദ്രവവും ഇല്ല.  വീട്ടില്‍ കഴിഞ്ഞു കൂടാന്‍ അത്യാവശ്യം സ്വത്തുണ്ട് , ഇത്രയും ആയാല്‍ കണാരേട്ടന്‍ ആയി. പുള്ളിയെ കൊണ്ട് ഒരു ഉപദ്രവവും ഇല്ല എന്ന് പറയാന്‍ പറ്റില്ല ചിലതൊക്കെ ഉണ്ട്.  പുള്ളിയുടെ തലയില്‍ ഇടയ്ക്കു ഭയങ്കര ഐഡിയ ഉദിച്ചു വരും അത് മറ്റുള്ളവരോട് പറയും, പിന്നെ ചര്‍ച്ചയായി ബഹളമായി.  മിക്കവാറും അത് നടക്കുക വായനശാലയുടെ ഇറയത്തു വച്ചും.  ഇത്തരം ഐഡിയ ഉണ്ടാകുന്നതു "അന്തരീക്ഷത്തില്‍ ചെന്താമര, വേണ്ടുരുതിയില്‍ കുന്തിരിക്കം" (കഞാവ്) എഫ്ഫക്റ്റ്‌  കൊണ്ടാണെന്ന് നാട്ടില്‍ ഒരു സംസാരം ഉണ്ട്. ബെഞ്ചില്‍ ഇരുന്നു ചിത്ര ഭൂമിയില്‍ ഇറങ്ങാന്‍ പോവുന്ന സിനിമകളെ കുറിച്ച് വായിച്ചു കൊണ്ടിരുന്ന ഞാന്‍ പതുക്കെ തിരിഞ്ഞു നോക്കി, കണാരേട്ടന്‍ ഇപ്പോഴും മുകളിലേക്ക് നോക്കി ഇരിക്കുകയാണ്‌. "ഡാ മോനെ" ഈശ്വരാ  കു

മൂർക്കോത്തെ വയൽ

മരുമകനും അവന്റെ  ഭാര്യയും വന്നു വിളിച്ചപ്പോൾ  പയം കുറ്റിക്കു  വരാൻ പറ്റില്ല എന്ന് പറയാൻ നാണുവാശാന് തോന്നിയില്ല, പെങ്ങളെ കണ്ടിട്ട് കുറച്ചു നാൾ  ആയി പിന്നെ മരുമോൻ പട്ടാളത്തിൽ അല്ലെ അതിന്റെ ഒരു ബഹുമാനം അവനു കൊടുക്കണ്ടേ .  അവൻ കാവിലെ ഉത്സവത്തിന് വന്നതാ.  കോവൂറ്‍  നിന്നും കുറുക്കൻ മൂല  പോയി വരുക എന്ന് വച്ചാൽ ഇപ്പോൾ എളുപ്പം ആണ് കായലോടു നിന്നും കതിരൂർ പോവുന്ന ഏതു ബസ്സിൽ കയറിയാലും പോക്കായി മുക്ക് ഇറങ്ങിയാൽ  മതി. പക്ഷെ പയം കുറ്റി  രാത്രി എട്ടു മണിക്കാ, കഴിയുമ്പോ ഒൻപതു മണി ആവും , ഒൻപതേ കാലിനു കായലോട്ടേക്കു  ഉള്ള അംബിക കിട്ടിയില്ലെങ്കിൽ പിന്നെ നടക്കേണ്ടി വരും, നാല് ഫർലോങ്  വലിയ ദൂരം അല്ല, എങ്കിലും. നാണുവാശാൻ ഇങ്ങനെ പല ചിന്തകളിൽ മുഴുകി ഇരിക്കുമ്പോൾ ഭാര്യ സാവിത്രി ചോദിച്ചു "നിങ്ങൾ ഈ പത്രവും പിടിച്ചു എന്താ ആലോചിക്കുന്നത് ?  ഇന്ന് പയം കുറ്റിക്കു  പോവുന്നില്ല?" നാണുവാശാൻ അത്ഭുദത്തോടെ സാവിത്രിയെ നോക്കി പിന്നെ മനസ്സിൽ ചോദിച്ചു "ഇവൾക്ക് ഇതെങ്ങനെ എൻ്റെ മനസിലെ കാര്യങ്ങൾ അറിയുന്നു ?" "പോവണം , വൈകീട്ടല്ലേ നോക്കാം, നീ ഏതായാലും ഒരു മുണ്ടും ഷർട്ടും ഇസ്തിരി ഇട്ടു വച്ചോ "

ഗുഡ്സ് വാഗണിന്റെ എൻജിൻ